Friday, June 28, 2013

D-Day...

Well, it's here. Still a few loose ends to tie up, but nothing major. My bags are packed, sitting ready to go next to the door. I had a moment earlier while showering (...why is it that you always have these great ideas when you are no where near ready to write them down?) about the entire process it's taken for me to get to this point. There have been countless checklists, probably 100 post it notes, a dozen shopping trips, and hours of mentally preparing for 32 hours of flying time. It's crazy to think that departure is just over 12 hours away. I am about as ready as I'll ever be.

I arrive in Kilimanjaro at about 1pm local time, which will be around 3am Sunday (PDT) after flying through Washington, D.C. and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Total travel - 32 hours and over 10,000 miles. About the furthest from home I think I'll ever have been. Not sure what the rest of Sunday will hold, but my friend Anna says I probably won't be to my home stay until later that evening.

Monday is orientation day, shopping, some Swahili lessons and meeting the other volunteers. Tuesday is my first day at Hillcrest... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment