Thursday, June 27, 2013

Down to the wire...

Well, here we are... just about 24 hrs from departure to Arusha. Almost every thing that can be done to prepare has been done and now it's just to sit back and begin the journey. The nerves have started to calm down, the fears have been allayed, and now it's just realization that I am on my way to Africa that is setting in.
I have thought a lot about my day to day life and the creature comforts I am going to miss... my morning coffee, being able to walk to the corner and grab a wide variety of food, dinner/TV/cuddles with Brian... But I have also thought a lot about the differences in cultures and ways of life that I am going to get to experience. It is not often that you can complete immerse yourself in the culture of another country like I am going to be able to.
Of all the things that I know I will see, I am perhaps most intrigued and excited about getting to see some of the Masai culture. I remember when I was a young elementary school kid there was a classmate of mine who's parents went to Kenya and worked with the Peace Corp and the Masai. They came to our school and showed us pictures and artifacts from their time in Kenya and now, 25 yrs later, I am going to get to see of this stuff for myself. Such an awesome and powerful feeling to know that this has come full circle from when I was a boy.

Also, I want to take this time to personally, and publicly, thank each and everyone who has helped sponsor me and this trip of a lifetime. There are far to many for me to list out, but you know who you are, and you have my deepest, most heart felt appreciation. This experience would never have been possible without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment